Finished my taxes yesterday, a great relief and now we have some money coming back – so what to do with the refund!
As a giver and receiver of charitable giving I was reminded again that giving is something we often avoid talking about. It’s easy to be overwhelmed by the amount of places asking for money and it’s easy to just wait until the end of the month to see if we have any money left to give. As a young man I made the decision to be generous with my money and to give the first part of every paycheque back to God (by giving to my church, the poor, other charities). Some years I’ve looked back at my finances and found that I’ve given much more than I planned. I love being generous and I have a plan to be generous with my money, time and resources.
As spring arrives here in Manitoba I’d like to encourage you to give today, here are 6 of my motivations:
1. Giving to charity drops significantly in summer
2. Many charities are great at delivering service but are challenged at connecting to the hearts of donors – help them out.
3. Most of us have intention to give but forget to follow through
4. Summer workers are getting valuable experience in service and employable skills
5. By planning to give you can outgive the average Canadian (Manitobans are most generous by giving $0.80 for every $100.00 earned). Many Christians start at $10 for every $100.
6. We like to think that we are and will be generous people. Giving today (and I mean today) is the only way to know that you will give more when you have more to give.
BONUS: Living with less allows space for God to blow my mind with his generosity. I dare you to try to be more generous than God.
Many people are beginning to give online but still most gifts are mailed in. If you’d like to make a special gift to our work with Alpha Ministries here’s a link to help.
Gotta go, I need to drop off a cheque.