I came across this today, not sure the original source so if you know, let me know. Many of us have had good and bad volunteer experiences, perhaps this list helps you remember! Maybe you’re a leader of volunteers, this is a great tune up so you can turn all your volunteers into great volunteers!
10 Ways to Build Volunteers
1. Accentuate the positive.
2. Be liberal with praise.
3. Compliment them frequently,sincerely and in public.
4. Greet people by using their names.
5. Keep a file on their hobbies and special interests.
6. Work on your own self-image. You cannot love others if you don’t love
7. Give credit where credit is due. Don’t steal their thunder.
8. Ask,“How can I help?
9. Give appropriate challenges. People are bored when they are not
10. Listen! Listen! Listen!
10 Ways to Destroy Volunteers
1. Underestimate their potential.
2. Remove their reward.
3. Show a lack of confidence in them.
4. Expect immediate results.
5. Don’t support them.
6. Magnify their mistakes.
7. Ignore their success.
8. Understate the role they play.
9. Treat the task more important than the person.
10. Talk! Talk! Talk!
If you’ve had a good volunteer experience, why not publicly thank that person today. Do it here if you’d like.