I’d like you to imagine (and maybe as I write, a real person will come to mind) a young lady who’s looking for an Alpha Course. She’s grown up in the church and now she’s in her twenties and dating a handsome young man who doesn’t share her faith, but he’s willing to learn (love does funny things doesn’t it?). Then she asks at her church and can’t make it to her church’s course. So she goes over to the Alpha website looking for a course, but can’t find anything there either. Now I get the call – “Do you know of any churches who are running Alpha.
This story does 3 things to me
- I want to find a course or start one. Today! I mean, there’s a young man who wants to know about Christianity and can’t find a church who’s ready to do it.
- I’m driven to pray – Lord, would you help this couple? Are there more? Help me to help them.
- I’m motivated to see 200 courses running in from Saskatoon to Thunder Bay this year. Don’t tell my boss, she thinks we’re shooting for 103, but that won’t be enough.
I meet people regularly who pray that their kids will find a church that runs Alpha. Why Alpha?
- Because Alpha is a trusted program with a remarkable track record. 4 out of 5 Alpha participants who don’t go to church make a decision to commit or recommit their lives to Christ on a Canadian Alpha course. (2010-12 Alpha Canada stats).
- Churches who run Alpha are actively figuring out how they can reach and grow new believers. This new generation has new questions about life and purpose.
- More than ever, young adults are not returning to church, because they don’t connect their spiritual life to the life of the church. Alpha churches are trying to make the connection.
Wouldn’t it be amazing if every neighbourhood had an Alpha Church? A place where you knew they were expecting people to come with questions about faith. Every neighbourhood could have a community of people who was looking for those who were asking the questions of life. I’m so confident that this is in God’s heart.
What’s your experience with churches who run Alpha? How would you describe them.
- Alpha Day Away (churchofthereswyo.org)