I am not a fisherman. There are a few reasons, primarily this: a good day for fishing is an even better day for bike riding. Second reason? I’m not a big fan of cleaning the fish. Catching fish is fun, but what you have to do between catching and eating is just a little beyond me.
For many of us, the work of making disciples of Jesus is much the same. I’m not sure about you, but I think I’m more worried about evangelism being successful than unsuccessful. If I share my faith and it’s rejected, I can carry on as usual. If the Gospel is accepted, then I need to get to work on helping this new believer learn to walk with Jesus. I like bringing a person to faith & I like working with mature believers, but helping them grow in maturity is just hard work.
This weekend, churches across my city will be having Easter services and messages. There will be baptisms and concerts and strong preaching. But how will these churches help people who respond to the Good News of Easter?
- creates safe places for exploring faith
- answers the basic questions for someone starting a walk with Jesus
- trains believers in how to make disciples
- builds leaders (58% of Alpha leaders in Canada came to faith on Alpha)
- gets more effective the more it’s used
- is a tool that the Holy Spirit is using all over the world (over 22 million people have taken Alpha)
If you’re not ready to start Alpha now, you could be ready in fall if you start preparation now. Let me help you:
- Come to our Alpha JumpStart on May 3 at Calvary Temple
- Invite me to train your team for an evening or morning. I can get to most places in Southern Manitoba!
But hurry, summer’s coming and the harvest is ready!